This course provides a foundation of important aspects to coaching basketball. Topics to be explored include the role of coaches, player skill development, skill analysis, teaching techniques, physical and psychological development, injury prevention, injury care and rehabilitation and coaching philosophy. Completion of course and passing the final quiz will certify you as a Hoops U. Certified Basketball Coach.
Level I Program Benefits
- Offers basketball coaches a deeper understanding of the game and how to teach it.
- Improves the coach’s ability to develop and run effective practices.
- Gives coaches the tools to a better understanding of the physical and psychological development of players.
- Shares techniques for building communication skills with parents, players, and support staff.
- Ensures coaches have a better understanding of safety, injury-care, and injury prevention.
- Delivers coaching education to all coaches within an organization.
- Better-trained coaches build a more successful organization.
- Certified coaches receive a certificate verifying their achievement.
If we put this in book form, the Level I Basketball Coaching Development Program would be well over 300 pages in length! However, with our online course module you can read, study, and learn at your own pace on your computer, tablet, or any mobile device!
Level I Basketball Coaching Development Program Course Syllabus
|Module 2||Philosophical Approach|
|Unit 1||Developing a Coaching Philosophy|
|Unit 3||Self-Assessment and Evaluation|
|Module 3||The Role of the Coach|
|Unit 1||Coaching Roles and Responsibilities|
|Unit 2||The Coach as a Leader|
|Unit 3||The Coach as a Teacher|
|Unit 4||The Coach as an Organizer|
|Unit 5||Communicating with Players|
|Unit 6||Building Self-Esteem|
|Unit 7||Establishing Positive Relationships|
|Module 4||Planning & Organization|
|Unit 1||Practice Planning|
|Unit 2||Organizing the Practice|
|Module 5||Player Development|
|Unit 1||Long-Term Athletic Development|
|Unit 2||Physiological Development|
|Module 6||Teaching Techniques|
|Unit 1||Teaching Techniques, Level 1|
|Unit 2||Skill Analysis|
|Unit 3||Fundamental Skill Development|
|Module 7||Safety & Risk Management|
|Unit 1||Legal Duties of a Coach|
|Unit 2||Safety Principles|
|Unit 3||Injury Prevention|
|Unit 4||Injury Care and Rehab|
|Unit 1||Forms from the Course|
|Unit 2||Additional Forms & Handouts|
|Unit 3||Appendix and Other Resources|
Hoops U. Basketball Coaching Development Program Level I Certified Coaches will be able to:
- Understand the basic rules and fundamentals of basketball that is necessary to plan and implement relevant skill development activities.
- Explain the roles and ethical responsibilities of a basketball coach.
- Develop strategies to communicate and work with parents, players, officials and support staff.
- Implement strategies to ensure the effective management of players prior to and during a game.
- Plan and review practice sessions for all levels, but especially the beginner level basketball player.
- Assess and manage the risks of coaching in basketball training and competition environments.
- Safely conduct a basketball practice and/or training session, ensuring fun and maximum participation.
- Utilize a range of teaching and behavior management strategies to help basketball players learn basic skills and tactics.
- Allow for and adapt to the varying physical and social development levels of the basketball players being taught.